5TONIC selected by the 5Growth project to validate advanced 5G trials across multiple vertical industries
The 5Growth Project has selected 5TONIC, the open research and innovation laboratory on 5G technologies headquartered at IMDEA Networks Institute, as the experimental facility where it is to conduct and validate advanced 5G trials in a real-world operations setting.
- The 5Growth project aims to empower vertical industries with automated and intelligent 5G solutions
- 5TONIC’s core experience evaluating 5G use cases and 5G technical components with vertical industries represents a strategic asset for this joint collaboration
- The project will focus on three pilot sectors: Industry 4.0, Transport and Energy, which will be field-trialled with advanced 5G experimental facilities 5TONIC’s
The project is part of the third phase of the H2020 5G Infrastructure Public Private Partnership (5G-PPP) initiative. H2020 5G-PPP is a joint initiative of the European Commission and European ICT industry that aims to deliver solutions, architectures, technologies and standards for the next generation of communication infrastructures over the coming decade. It includes several 5TONIC members and collaborators: Ericsson, InterDigital, Innovalia, Telefónica, IMDEA Networks Institute and the University Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M).
The 5Growth vision is to empower vertical industries, such as Industry 4.0, Transport, and Energy, with an AI-driven automated and shareable 5G end-to-end solution that will allow them to simultaneously achieve their key business and performance targets. 5Growth will automate the process for supporting diverse industry verticals through:
- a vertical-oriented frontend that provides a common entry point as well as an interface and an advanced customer portal, in charge of interfacing verticals with the 5G end-to-end platforms, receiving their service requests and building the respective network slices;
- closed-loop automation and SLA control for vertical service lifecycle management;
- AI-driven end-to-end network solutions to jointly optimize resources provided across all the network and application segments (access, transport, core, cloud, edge and fog), and across multiple technologies and domains.
The main objective of 5Growth is the technical and business validation of 5G technologies from the verticals’ perspective. The project will follow a field-trial-based approach in vertical sites (TRL 6-7) to increase exploitation opportunities in products, services, and vertical markets, hence impacting economy and society at large. Two ICT-17-2018 5G end-to-end platforms hosted in 5TONIC - 5G EVE and 5G-VINNI - will be integrated with the 5Growth platform in the trials to demonstrate the specific 5Growth vertical use cases.
In terms of impact towards standardization bodies (SDOs), apart from the impact on vertical-oriented standards (e.g., EN50126 (IEC62278) for railway signaling), the verticals in the consortium will also be offered an opportunity to influence ongoing 5G standardization by leveraging the involvement of leading experts in the various relevant SDOs, such as 3GPP, ETSI MEC, ETSI NFV, ETSI ENI, and ITU-T FG ML5G/NET2030. Furthermore, 5Growth inherits the open source spirit of the 5G-TRANSFORMER project and also plans to have an impact in the open-source area.
5TONIC was initiated by Telefónica and IMDEA Networks Institute with a clear vision to create an open research and innovation ecosystem laboratory in which industry and academia come together to boost technology and business innovative ventures. The laboratory promotes joint project development, joint entrepreneurial ventures, discussion fora, events and conference sites, all in an international environment of the highest impact. 5TONIC serves to show the capabilities and interoperation of pre-commercial 5G equipment, services and applications, by leading global companies in the 5G arena. The laboratory was recently awarded Digital Innovation Hub status by the European Commission.
Press contact 5TONIC@leanfactor.net